Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
About RPIAcademicsResearchStudent LifeAdmissionsNewsTour
The Graduate School, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Office of the Registrar


Transfer credits


For detailed information on how incoming freshmen can obtain academic credit through Advanced Placement tests or transfer credit, please refer to your class year's Planning Your First Semester booklet.

Transfer Credits

If you are an incoming freshman who has completed (or is currently enrolled in) courses at other colleges, you may be able to transfer those credits to Rensselaer. The Registrar and the appropriate campus academic department will have to evaluate the course descriptions of the courses you took, as well as an official transcript from the other college, to determine your transfer eligibility and Rensselaer course equivalency.

Rensselaer will not award transfer credit for any college courses you took in high school if those courses were used to satisfy a high school graduation requirement. In addition, if you take an equivalent course here at Rensselaer, you will forfeit your transfer credit (you can't receive credit twice).

Please refer to the Office of the Registrar's procedures for freshman transfer credits [PDF 30KB] for more complete information.

Advanced Placement (AP) tests

If you are an incoming freshman and took any Advanced Placement (AP) courses in high school, request that the Educational Testing Service (ETS) send your AP scores to Rensselaer's Registrar's Office; the Registrar will in turn evaluate your scores and provide you with the results. Note that although you may receive credit for your AP courses, you will not receive a grade for them, and the credits are not included in any grade point average (GPA) calculations.


Upperclassmen who wish to transfer coursework from other institutions should be sure that the course(s) will transfer before enrolling at the other institution. Since some courses are not equivalent to Rensselaer courses, transfer of credit is not guaranteed unless prior approval is obtained.

Undergraduates must earn equivalent A, B, or C grades at the other school to transfer credits. Graduate students must earn equivalent A or B grades.

Note that grades for transferred courses do not appear on the Rensselaer transcript, nor are they included in your Rensselaer QPA. They are, however, included in your Earned Hours total.

Under Rensselaer’s Repeated Courses Policy, courses taken at another college are not eligible to replace the Rensselaer grade in calculating the QPA.

How to transfer credits

  1. Go to the online Transfer Course Guide and see if the course at the other school has been evaluated for transfer. If it has been evaluated, fill in on the front of the Transfer Credit Approval Form the Visited College Course Number, Title, and Credit Hours. Check the box in the As Per Transfer Course Guide column. You do NOT need to get Departmental Approval in the column labeled Dept. Approval. Proceed to Number 3 below.
  2. If the course you wish to take has not been evaluated as per the online Transfer Course Guide, get a course description. These are usually available on the other school’s web site. Attach a copy of the Course Description to the Transfer Credit Approval Form, and have it evaluated by the Departmental Transfer Credit Evaluator in the corresponding Rensselaer department. For example, if you want to transfer a Math course, you will need the approval of the Rensselaer Math Department.
  3. Have your advisor approve transfer of the course by signing the Transfer Credit Approval Form, .
  4. If the transfer course is part of your last 30 credits, obtain the approval of the Advising and Learning Assistance Center.
  5. Submit the completed form to the Registrar's Office.
  6. Once you have completed the course, have the other college send an Official Transcript directly to the Rensselaer Registrar's Office, Academy Hall 2000 level, 110 8th St, Troy, NY 12180-3590.


Rensselaer students planning to study abroad must use special Study Abroad Transfer Credit Approval Forms. These forms are available online at: STUDY ABROAD TRANSFER CREDIT FORMS